Saturday, 12 May 2012

Mothers' Day

Tomorrow is Mothers' Day in Australia.

I read a blog post the other day by a very talented papercrafter who admitted to hardly ever making her own Mother a Mothers' Day card. She said she doubts her own abilities sometimes, and feels that her Mum would think her efforts amateurish! She did in fact make a very beautiful card for her Mum this year - and I know her Mum will love it.

I read that blog entry whilst struggling with my own desire to just go and buy a card for my Mum this year, like I have done every other year. Except this year it's different because I'm now a fledgling papercrafter and my Mum is expecting something handmade by me. Oh, the pressure!

In order to take the pressure off a bit I decided to try a new technique I had just learned on my Pazzles Inspiration software where you set up the machine to cut around the shape of a stamp as part of the card. (I first saw this in the Pazzles Craftroom, but also noticed it's now available here.)  It was all in the name of experimenting rather than actually 'making a card for my Mum for Mothers' Day'. And so I tricked myself into making a card which I'm happy with and I hope my Mum will like.


I used the cutting technique to cut out the outer card edge, then used the other 'side' of the stamp shape to cut into the polka dot flower paper which I used to cover the outside of the card. Then I stamped the flower using coffee-coloured archival pigment ink and coloured in with the new Ranger Ink Distress markers.

My darling Mum is in hospital learning how to walk again after a terrible reaction to some drugs she had been taking caused her to become completely paralysed. She's on the mend, but it's a long, slow process. We are taking afternoon tea, complete with pretty tea cups, a dainty tea cloth and delicious apple tea cakes into the ward tomorrow in order to make the day special for her. 

If you are celebrating Mothers' Day tomorrow I wish you a very happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment