Saturday, 7 July 2012

A Little Bit of French Fabulousness

I bought some gorgeous mini canvases when I was in Spotlight a couple of weeks ago. They come two to a packet, with little wooden easels, and cost $5 per packet. Bargain! Needless to say I bought two packets! (And will probably go back for more next week!)

Today I decided I would have a bit of a play and here is the result.


I painted the easel with one coat of white gesso. Whilst I was careful to cover all the the surfaces, I didn't get too carried away with the evenness of the painting as I wanted a slightly shabby, worn look. Once the gesso was dry I inked over the edges of the easel with Ranger Inks Spun Sugar Distress Ink to give a hint of pink blush to the white.

I used the Spun Sugar to ink around the edges of the canvas and dried it quickly with my heat tool. I then cut out a square of paper which had just the right pink vintage print on it, and glued it to the canvas face using Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Multi-Medium matte. Using multi-medium as a glue is a trick I learned from the ever-amazing Trisha Ladouceur. I then brushed a thin coat of the multi-medium over the entire paper square and set it aside to dry.

Once dry, I decided the background needed just a little something more (couldn't help myself) so I found my favourite sheet music stamp and inked it up with coffee-coloured archival ink. Interestingly, the centre of the canvas didn't stamp at all, because it was slightly concave, but happily it didn't matter one bit. In fact, it served to highlight the centre of the fleur-de-lis shape beautifully in the end. Happy accidents is what this afternoon was all about actually!

The negative space fleur-de-lis piece of cardboard comes from the left-overs from the printers tray class I took with Julie van Oosten at the Brisbane Papercraft Expo in June.

I had originally intended to just cover it with Adirondack 'Snow Cap' white acrylic paint dabber, but picked up the Pearl one instead, and only realised what I'd done once I started painting the shape. It looked so pretty I kept going. But because I had wanted a sort of distressed look, I decided to lightly brush over the dried Pearl with a dry brush dipped in white gesso. I am thrilled with the result. The shape now looks like tarnished white metal - brilliant! I then rang a Spun Sugar distress marker around the edges of the fleur-de-lis shape, and buffed a little Spun Sugar distress ink around the outside edges.

Once the shape was dry, I glued it to the centre of the canvas with multi-medium and voila! it was done.

This took half an hour from start to finish - and would make a gorgeous little gift ... if I could bring myself to give it away ... which I can't ... LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment