Saturday, 28 July 2012

Paris With Love ... Again!


This post was originally part of a post I made in June about the Brisbane Papercraft Expo. So, you might have already read about my little Twiddleybitz chair. 

However, because I put it on the Twiddleybitz ning site and it got a bit of attention, I thought I'd give it it's own post so I could link it to my Tutorials page as well ... call it 'housekeeping' if you will :-)

Twiddleybitz is a Western Australian based company and they come up with the most delicious little things ... because I am very much a 3D off-the-page kinda gal I really do love their stuff. 

So, without and further carrying-on (I do tend to get a bit carried away and chat alot) ... here is my little chair and how I created it.

PARIS WITH LOVE ...


You will need a chair from Twiddleybitz - these come two to a packet, are laser cut from thin wood chipboard and come in pieces. I wanted to paint and then stamp the chair to give it some interest before adding other elements to it. 

And because I wanted to stamp the pieces, I I needed to paint the pieces first, then stamp, then put the chair together. And, as the chair is put together by slotting pieces into other pieces I knew I would be running the risk of the pieces swelling and not fitting properly if I painted them with a water-based paint prior to assembly.

After some consultation with the Renaissance Man (who knows lots of things about how wood and paint react with one another) I decided to spray paint the pieces with an oil-based matte white undercoat. This would reduce the risk of swelling, and give me a good base for stamping. So that's what I did.


I then stamped the painted pieces using Rangers Archival ink in 'Aquamarine', and Collections Elements 'Victorian Set 3' stamp, and assembled the chair when dry with very little effort. I then used Tim Holtz Distress Marker 'Broken China' to colour the edges of the chair pieces to match the stamping.

I had recently bought the Collections 1018 Natural Muslin Kit, so draped some of the more open weave muslin over the chair, cut out three butterflies from the 1026 Creative Butterflies sheet, and coloured them using my Broken China distress marker. I cut out the words from the 1042 Collections Mini Word Sheet, and the 'boutons et mercerie' poster from the 1041 ephemera collection kraft sheet. I inked the edges of everything with Walnut Stain distress ink and glued them into position with Glossy Accents. I added a few little buttons and some string used to tie the muslin pieces together in the kit.

I love how this little chair turned out. And I have another one patiently waiting in it's packet for me to decide what to do with it!

1 comment: